Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Chapter 1


The future has begun. Robotics has developed rapidly over the past few years and has changed life as we know it. Artificial intelligence has advanced to the point where the average person does not even know if he's interacting with a human or not. But unknown to many, hidden within the unassuming buildings of Tokyo is a project only a few are aware of but many have seen without knowing it. One company has been creating androids that have managed to jump across the uncanny valley, robots so like a human that you wouldn't notice, but are also built for battle, each with its own specialty and weaponry; military-grade machines blending in among the crowds.

But not all of their creations has sneaked into the public yet. Asakasa Robotics has always prided itself in the quality of its creations, but one model in particular has taken them so long, but at last they are ready to launch their greatest android yet, model number RT 191, human name Fukami Yasashi, to the world. Deep within a storage room she lies, inactive, waiting for her eyes to open to the world.

One night, just outside the company's industrial grounds, two young people walk around its perimeter and create a breach for them to enter and subtly mark it for their later escape. For a large company, Asakasa only has a handful of buildings for use in their work, with the target building being a research laboratory that also houses high-security goods.

"Based on my guesses, the android should be in this room." The young man looks at a map on his tablet. "It's heavily-guarded, Asuka, how sure are you that the plan will work?"
"This isn't our first time here, besides, is there anything from them that we haven't managed to hack yet?"
"We're trying to take a really valuable item, this is our biggest job yet."
"Katsuhiko, there's no turning back," Asuka faces her friend. "and there's nothing more important than making sure this android not fall into the wrong hands, understand?"
"Understand. Just like we planned, you go in, while I hide somewhere and deactivate these security measures." 
Asuka nods and runs to the building, sneaking through a window using a lockpick. "I'm inside the storage room proper."
"That easily? I can see that you're close to the robot, just a few meters to your right, close, close, there it is!"
At that cue, Asuka bumps into a closed box, with a hand-written label of 'RT 191' on it. "It's right in front of me."
Katsuhiko emerges from the sculpture he's hiding inside, quietly sneaking to the open window.

Asuka rips through the containment box's security measures, and upon opening the box saw the treasure they have been looking for: a petite android, with short black hair crowned with a headband. Its eyes are still closed and her body unclothed.
"Prepare the newspaper." Asuka radios in to Katsuhiko.
"Copy." He opens up a taped mix of newspapers, each featuring an article about Asakasa Robotic's goings-on ranging from plain business stories to saucy controversies.
"I'm on my way back into the window."
"Don't tell me you're going to sneaker the-"
"You think they'll just put her in a cardboard box?"
"Fine, give me a moment."
While he sets up the wrapping, Asuka goes to work taking the robot and every other key piece around it. She shuts the box, and with the robot on her shoulder tiptoes all the way to the window. "Are you ready yet?"
"Yeah, quick!"
They carefully pass the android through the window and wrap it around the newspaper. One last close of the window and they safely exit the premises, with the booty in their hand.

-----

"Sir," An Asakasa security guard barges into the CEO's office. "bad news, 191's been stolen!"
"What?" The CEO, Eikichi jumps off his chiar, enraged. "How could this happen?!"
"We don't know, sir, all the surveillance measures were disabled."
"Damn it!" He slams his fist on the table. "It has got to be them again. Can we still track her?"
"About that, we found this." He produces a small plastic bag with a piece of electronics in it.
"Now we've really lost 191, get ready to search."
"Yes, sir." The security people leave the room.
"There go my plans..." Eikichi stares through the window. "What must I do now, the public can't know this... Start the search ASAP, she must be brought back here in one piece." His hand rolls into a fist. "No matter what."

-----

It isn't until after the sun rises did Asuka come back to the newly-acquired robot. She unwraps the newspapers, the inert android still in its pristine condition. Asuka puts a nightgown and other articles of clothing on it before starting to pick out the items that may have been stored within the robot's body. Uncovering a piece of plating on her back reveals a few cables, some spare parts, a small repair manual and a .45 pistol. Setting the items aside somewhere safe, Asuka takes a deep breath before finally turning on the robot.

Almost immediately, the android's eyes open as she sits up, revealing their silvery sheen. In a low, timid tone she speaks, "Glad to be of... ser... vice..." She looks around, bewildered. "Wh-Where am I?"
"You're in my house, Fukami." Asuka answers with a slight smile covering up the amazement in her face.
"You, you know my name..." She looks at the clothes she's now wearing. "but how did you know?"
"I read it on this card."
"Oh. What's yours, then?"
"Asuka Ozawa." She answers. "Don't worry, I'm not here to hurt you."
"Promise?"
"Promise." Asuka helps Fukami up to her feet. "You must be excited to see the world around you."
She merely responds with a simple nod.
A knock disturbs the two, with Asuka rushing to the door while Fukami slowly follows behind.

The house only has one floor, with two rooms connected to the hallway behind the main room, which serves as both the living room and dining room, and Fukami's room is the one closest to the door, hastily cleared of old items to make room for a bed.

"Good morning!" A cheerful Katsuhiko waves. "It's finally arrived, the smart watch we've ordered." He notices the new girl standing just standing by the entryway confused. "Ah, she's already on?"
Asuka turns to see the android on the entranceway. "Yeah, but she's not used to things yet."
"Um," Fukami slowly approaches Asuka. "Who is he?"
"He's a friend, he's Katsuhiko Mitsui." Asuka goes formal for the robot's sake. "Katsuhiko, Fukami Yasashi."
"Nice to meet you, Fukami!" Katsuhiko greets with a smile.
"Nice to meet you, too." She slowly bows before him.
"She sure is shy for a robot." He tells Asuka.
"Give her time, she's just not used to being yet." She takes the package. "The last thing you want is for her to be too obvious after all."
"If you say so, see you later." He leaves, returning to his own place.

Asuka sets down the package on the table and approaches Fukami.
"Want to buy some groceries with me?"
It takes a few seconds for her to process what to say, but she does answer with an excited yet timid "Yes!"
Still in her nightgown Fukami joins Asuka on the way to a nearby grocery store. A neighbor greets them.
"Good morning!" He notices Asuka's new companion. "Oh, who's the new girl?"
"She's Fukami," She looks at her who is looking around in wonder. "I found her sleeping by my door last night, and I took her in."
Fukami is surprised at that excuse "H-Huh?"
"How nice of you to do that. Well, I have to run."
"Why did you say that about me?" Fukami asks in a whisper.
"I'll explain when we get back home, you don't have to worry." Asuka assures her.

They arrive at a small grocery store, while the products are the usual and the displays are nothing to write home about, for the android it was an exciting place, as exciting as the outdoors. Still trailing behind Asuka, Fukami looks at the items on the shelves, trying to find something she would like, then she does find one. She grabs some rice cakes and comes back next to Asuka.
"Can I have these?" She asks, the amount of rice cakes a bit too much for her too handle.
Asuka looks at her, silently thinking if it's a good idea or if it's even possible. "Ah, sure."
Fukami gladly places the rices cakes into the basket. A few more items and the purchase is completed. Some of the people in the store have taken notice of Asuka's new companion.

On their way home, Asuka stops before a small bakery. "I'll buy some snacks for us, you wait for me by this lamp post."
Fukami nods and groceries in hand stands next to the lamp post. An employee stops by to talk to the new girl in town.
"Good morning."
Fukami, not expecting any conversation, stammers, "Um, um, G-Good Morning."
"I don't think I've seen you before, are you new here?"
"Huh? Oh, um, yes. I'm... I'm new here."
"Are you Asuka's new friend that I'm hearing about?"
"Y-Yes... I-It's me..."
"Must have been difficult before Asuka found you."
She silently nods. Asuka returns and politely says goodbye to the lady.
"I hope I didn't look too bad." Fukami shyly says.
"You'll get used to it." Asuka responds with a smile.

Arriving home, Fukami quickly rushes to Asuka's room. "Um, Asuka?"
"Yes?"
"Have you... have you seen my gun?"
"Do you need it?"
"I... just can't be without it. It, it's what's been given to me."
"If you insist." Asuka takes out the gun from its hiding place, finally notices the custom engraving on the barrel, and hands it to Fukami, who immediately starts checking it. "Is there something wrong?"
"I can't help it, I just need to make sure it's working." She holsters it under her dress.
"I know an empty field you can use."
"R-Really? Let's go!"
"Maybe tomorrow, there are still some things to do, and everyone knows everyone in this town."
"Okay." She fidgets a bit. "Well, what is that watch you bought?"
They walk to the living room and open the package, inside is a pink smart watch, its rectangular screen thin.
"That looks cool! Why did you get that?"
"We're going to modify this, for testing purposes." She puts on the watch.
"Oh, what can it do?"
"It's a watch, it also has a map, a compass, pedometer, nothing new it seems... Oh wait. I've never seen this tracker before."
"A tracker?"
"Must be for when you lose your phone, but you can have private links with it too. Is there a way for me to know if you're paired?"
"Let me see." She checks on an indicator on her forearm. After a few taps, "You should see me there now."
Asuka looks at the screen, an available device 'RT191.'
"Don't worry, I can hide myself like that, only that watch can see it."
Asuka accepts the link, and the map shows her location, and Fukami's location beside her. "Well that's something I'll have to look into." She disappears into her room, and Fukami steps out and sits on a stool outside the house, watching the people go by before her.
"I know where I am..." She says to herself. "but I don't know this place, I guess it's my home now. Being turned on still feels so weird..."
Asuka overhears much of Fukami's musings on her way to fetch some water. Fukami turns to see her looking.
"I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't be disturbing you."
"It's okay, I forgot to ask about why you said you found me sleeping on the ground."
"It's the best reason I can think of; the neighbors know I don't have any more relatives."
"I... I understand." She looks down.
"I know eventually everyone will find out the truth, but not now."
Fukami returns to where she sat, while Asuka returns to her work on the watch, thinking about the robot's future.

-----

A new day dawns, and Fukami wakes up fully charged. She tidies her charger and comes out of her room to the dining table.
"Good morning, Fukami." Asuka greets her.
"Good morning."
"Are you feeling better now?"
"Yes."
"I heard you yesterday." Asuka sets up breakfast. "Is everything alright?"
"Yes, I'm still trying to make sense of being... me."
"I know it must have been a surprise for you to be alive, technically speaking."
"It feels so new, but shouldn't I?"
"I wouldn't be able to answer that. Maybe a bit of walking around might help?"
"That's a good idea."
"Let's have some breakfast first."
"Okay!"

The two head to a clothing store, as the sale sign has enticed them.
"Oh, maybe I can find some new clothes for me." Fukami says. "I don't have anything that's just for me yet."
"We'll find you something." Asuka answers. "It couldn't be too hard."
The two start searching for a dress for Fukami, with a few options already selected by Asuka, while Fukami herself struggles to find something, until she lays her eyes on an outfit.
"Asuka, look!" She beams at the pieces she has in her hands. "Don't they look cute?"
The outfit consists of a shoulderless shirt with long sleeves, white with polka dots, complimented by a vest. The skirt is pleated and goes down to her knees.
"Maybe you should put it on?"
She nods and goes to a dressing room, she shows up again in the dress.
"Can we get this, please?" Fukami excitedly asks.
"Definitely, you're so pretty in it."

The two return home, with Fukami checking her gun again. After setting aside her new clothes, she and Asuka head to the field Asuka recommended. The field is a short walk away from the house. Empty and spacious, it's the perfect place for target practice. After having convinced Katsuhiko to bring some cans and bottles, they set up a quick lineup of targets.
"Is the coast clear?" Katsuhiko scans the surroundings.
"We'll be fine, I think." Asuka says.
"But I don't have a silencer... I guess it's fine."
The two humans stand behind the android, whose stance is ready to fire. In just a few seconds she guns down the cans and bottles from 10 feet away, including a smooth change of magazine.
Her two companions clap at that feat.
"Thanks, this is working perfectly, for now." She holsters her gun back.
"Add ammo to your budget list." Katsuhiko chides Asuka. "We have to clear the place up; they might find us out if they find the bullets here."
"Is that a problem?" Asuka asks.
"Asakasa has all the info about Fukami, it wouldn't be beyond them to have the ballistic records of her gun."
"Asa... kasa... That name's familiar..." Fukami stops for a bit.
"Shouldn't I have said that?" Katsuhiko looks worryingly.
"It's fine, she knows she's a robot, but she's probably not meant to know about it like this."
"That's... who created me..."
Asuka sighs. "I'll explain everything back home. Katsuhiko, please clear the place for us."

"I'm so sorry I had to do this." Asuka holds Fukami's hands. "But I don't know how I'm going to tell this."
"What, what do you mean?"
"Asakasa Robotics, they might be scheming something. You, you're not alone."
"Huh? Do you mean-"
"No, you're unique, but for a long time now they have made androids like you, and released them one by one in this country."
"And I'm one of them?"
"Yes, but if not for me, you might be used for horrible reasons. They've been hiding this fact from the general public, in plain sight."
"How did you know about this, then?"
"Katsuhiko. He left his work there after some... discoveries, some he isn't even ready to tell me yet. We have some friends helping us but most of the work is just between me and him."
"I... don't know what to say, um, thank you?"
"All I can give you for now is a normal life, even if you're not human I still want you to live like one, that's something they can't give you." 
"I'll... I'll be here for you too."
"Thanks."
"Thank you too, Asuka."

"Okay, I'll tell her ASAP, bye." The call ends. "Hey, Asuka. How did it go?"
"She took it well so far, maybe she does trust me."
"Don't you ever break it." Katsuhiko walks to his workstation. "You're the first human she ever saw, and befriended."
She nods. "What is it do you want me to tell?"
"Asakasa's planning to mobilize. I think they're about to begin searching for her."
"Of course they would, I just didn't expect it to happen this soon." 
"It had to, we stole a prized possession. For all we know Eikichi had dropped everything else just to find Fukami."
"What are we going to do then?"
"Everything we can. Have you worked on the watch yet?"
"Yeah, and I've been fiddling with this device tracking since yesterday."
"You haven't told me this thing. What's this you put, RT191, that's Fukami, right?"
"Yeah."
"Don't you think someone will find her through this?" He turns off the watch's linking and tries doing something similar on his phone. "Where is she?"
"She's watching TV, should I fetch her?"
"Just to make sure."
The three gather by the front of his repair shop and do a few more checks with the tracking.
"I don't think I've seen something like this." Katsuhiko comments. "I'll ask some of my friends about this, but you might want to keep that info, it's definitely useful; I can find your location but they can't."
"Wait, does it work the other way round?" Asuka wonders. "I forgot to ask about that, Fukami."
"Let me check." She taps on her forearm to show a map. "Is it that dot?"
"It is."
"I don't think we'll have all night trying to learn her tracking modes." Katsuhiko smiles. "I'll update you guys on what my asking around gets me."
"What is this for?" Fukami asks. "I think I can fend for myself."
"You're more than capable of fending for yourself." Asuka assures her. "But we aren't, so maybe it's for us."

-----

"This, this is where it all happened." Eikichi says to himself while looking at the scene of the crime. "Those clever bastards knew what they were doing."
"Sir, here's some more information about where 191 can be. Here are all the outside camera footage we can get hold of."
"This doesn't tell me anything new at all! Alert everyone, starting today we will start an all-out search for 191, understand?"
"Yes, sir." 
"Now get moving." Eikichi walks to his office, muttering to himself. "Those scoundrels will rue the day they did this, I will not be disgraced by this affair, not if I get 191 again." Once he returns to his office, he heads to his computer, scrolling through pictures until he catches a glimpse of something. "I almost forgot about this thing, now's not the best time for this, but it's high time."

Meanwhile at the company's living quarters, two robots sit before a vending machine canteen.
"Are you sure about doing it?"
"We have made our decision, we've been holding this in for so long, how longer are we going to wait?"
"But what about the search, we will be conscripted to do it."
"All the better! Let them deal with that on their own, tomorrow we're going."

No comments:

Post a Comment