Sunday, July 17, 2022

Jenard suffers through a week of a broken computer



As a man of the 2000's, I can only imagine myself using a clunky PC that requires a monolith and a monitor for regular uses. Even if I reduce all I do to writing and interneting, I can never find a reason why I would want a laptop, even though I have used those for a short while. Let's also not kid ourselves about how not even increased capabilities make the mobile experience any less cumbersome. 

If this computer bricks, I'm out of commission. Guess what happened.

The woes started last July 8, when some issues caused a failure to boot, this got fixed the next day and lasted until Tuesday, when the whole thing just... stopped. With a couple of repair stores nearby I could have set out there ASAP, but Mom will not touch any advice from someone she can't trust, so I have to wait until Saturday for an actual diagnostic.

I think I put in some bits somewhere on a Discord server for later use, lemme just get them... here we go.

July 13, 12:40 AM

Out of a slight bit of insight, I went out on a limb to check if a repair store I pass by from time to time does computers. It had started raining at around 10 PM, one of a strong bunch raging through town for the last few days. With only a tiny umbrella I went out on a brazen bit of reconnaissance, walking through a watery road in a rain I only tend to experience as a stranded traveler. The short five-minute walk felt like forever in the deluge, the streets were empty and the sparse lights drowned, but eventually I stop at the storefront: the sign says computer repair. 
Good news: I can have this monolith checked soon. Bad news: There's no way I'm lugging a CPU on a slippery path, one part of which goes uphill.

July 13, 10:00 AM

I sneaked out back to the shop now that it's open. I showed the repair man a clip of my issue as I would rather not lug around my case yet, and rather unsurprisingly he recommended I bring it in the flesh. Looks like I'll be waiting.

That ends that part, here's the newer stuff.

July 15

With no one else at home save for someone doing some paintwork, I did a bit of a stroll, to a church I visited a few weeks ago. I did the whole journey on foot, which wasn't really a great idea when the time I did it was high noon(my last trek took place at around 4 PM). Either way, I should have brought some pocket money for a cheap milk tea. Wait, this is about a computer, right?

July 16, 4:45 PM

At last, the guy Mom called had arrived. After some fiddling about he concluded that the computer's power supply unit is toast and needs replacing. Due to some personal convictions (and hauling this metal block), heading to a place that supplies them isn't possible. The original store where I bought the whole setup is closed on Sundays. Instead of waiting another week to get the same unit in the same store, I settled for a different brand(it has to have one) bought from a mall.

Luckily one was bought just a few hours before the writing of this piece. With my computer back up, all I need to do is do some better maintenance and backing up and maybe, just maybe, this thing won't give up on me again so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment