Saturday, August 19, 2023

Chapter 4



I guess we should look a what happened to the thieves last time. In an undisclosed location a man talks to one of them who manages to escape amid the hubbub of yesterday.

"Who stopped you this time?"
"I don't know, but he had a light sword."
"...So they're starting to retaliate."
"You don't mean..."
"And it's sooner than I expected, but even with the guardians returning on earth we mustn't stop. What's our next target?"
"There's the one at a temple."
"Not that, not yet. What other spirit-trapped objects can we get?"
"We'll look for something, sir."
"Then start searching!"
The henchman exits.
"That eagle must be grouping them all together, I must do something about that."

-----

HQ is having its usual afternoon: Nadehiko managing the cafe's activity, Masato setting up game plans with other team members and Kitsutsuki chatting with people asking about the team.
"Masato," Kitsutsuki enters the team room. "Audiophone is finally interested in sponsoring us."
"Tell them to talk to me later, 3 PM."
Nadehiko comes in next. "You wanted me?"
"Yeah, we're trying to copy what you did at the chokepoint on the Second Frontier map."
While they watch the demonstration of the trick on screen, someone peers through the door in the middle of the session, someone in a bycocket.
"Sir, I think you're in the wrong time period." Someone comments.
"I know when I am. Is Izuki here?"
Nadehiko shows himself.
"So this is the sort of work you do." Toshiro smirks.
"It's a part."
"Who's that?" Asks another team member.
"Guys, this is Toshiro, he's a new... friend."
"That's one way of putting it. It's a pleasure to meet you all."
"Why did you drop by?" Nadehiko asks.
Toshiro takes off his hat and enters the room, closing the door. "I should probably talk about this in confidence but about the whole group affair,"
"Yeah?"
"We should start searching for the other members as fast as we could."
Nadehiko turns to his group. Masato gives him a nod.
"How do we go about with that?"
"I'm assuming the eagle knows where they are, since it is the leader."
"It did lead me to the guy who trained me. Before that, I gotta finish this."

"How long has this team been going?" The guests asks while watching the play.
"Three years." Masato answers. "Founded it with a guy who once was part of a top-level team."
"Is that perchance Nadehiko?"
"Nah, he's over here. Nadehiko started out here as our go-to electrician. Turns out he also plays well."
"Is this a professional thing?"
"Sorta, at least we're in a league."
Nadehiko finishes his demonstration. "Did you guys get that? I'll do it again when I come back."

-----

The two exit the building and Nadehiko gets the bird out and ready.
"Please lead us to one of the other members." Nadehiko says.
"I shall lead you to the one who can control fire, follow me." The eagle flies out and the two men follow its lead.
"I was expecting the bird to fly faster and higher than this." Toshiro comments. "Then again we're on foot."
They follow the bird on foot and soon enough they meet the eagle as it lands.

"A fire station." Toshiro points out.
"Even I can see that. Do you see who we're looking for?"
"Not from here; I'm not yet sure whether I can see the marks through things."

A fireman approaches the two men. "Do you need anything, gentlemen?"
"Yeah, we're looking for someone... er..." Nadehiko opens, but loses the words
"We're looking for a man with powers." Toshiro cuts him to the chase. "Fire powers."
The man eyes the two silently.
"Great move." Nadehiko says.
"What else can we say? We don't even know the guy."
The fireman turns to the inside of the building. "Hey Gunpei," He shouts. "there's two men looking for you."

A man comes out of the entrance, wearing the same pants and boots as the firemen but not a shirt, the only cloth above his waist right now being the wrappings on his hands.
"Who are you?" He asks.
"We... we're allies." Nadehiko answers.
"You're the one with the fire?" Toshiro asks.
"This?" A fireball comes out of his hand. "Howd'ya know about it?"
"A certain bird told us." Toshiro says. "This guy here's its guy."
Nadehiko proves this by calling for the bird to land on his arm.
"So I wasn't just imagining things, come in."

Gunpei Akiyama's usual spot whenver he isn't outside is in the day room or the garage, though one of the bunk beds in the sleeping quarters has been set aside for him.
"So you live here?" Nadehiko asks.
"Yeah, I used to be a drifter until one of the guys here offered this spot when he noticed I sleep a lot around this building."
"Does that mean you work here?"
"I'm not licensed to join the brigade so I just do the menial work when they ask me to."
"How else do you spend your day?"
"Sometimes I go out and find a quick buck from odd jobs. Having these powers got me more work, so that's a plus."
"Then you just come back here whenever." Toshiro comments.
"Yeah, the guys understand what I do."
"Surprised they didn't kick you out when they found out you can summon fire."
"Very funny. I've been staying here a long time, besides they can't kick me out now that we're getting intruders that aren't even human."
"Those things are bent on taking a stronghold on this world, starting with Japan."
"And you... we're the ones to stop that, I know."
"But there's still more of us, we just have to find them."
"Is this like the evil can only be defeated if all of us band together?"
"I was told only I can fight against the big bad, but I definitely can't deal with this alone."
"Makes sense."
"Would also be better for us to band together."
"If you need me for this then I'm always available. It's almost time for lunch, wanna check out a great noodle shop?"

The three take a trek on the way to the noodle shop.
"So you're really shirtless all the time?" Toshiro opens.
"Yeah, never liked to wear shirts anyway."
"Like ever since? Obviously not."
"I hated having to wear them as a kid, so as soon as I didn't have to I went all-out."
"Don't you get cold?"
"I got used to it."
An interruption: "So how many girls do you catch looking at you-" 
"Nadehiko!"
"Yeah, yeah, guy walks into a store topless, and everyone looks." Gunpei smirks. "I don't really care about those, soon you stop caring."
"What's really eye-catching is that there are establishments that will let you in."
"The places I go will let anyone in. I'll be out of place in the Shibuya crossing, for one."
"You remind me of someone I know." Nadehiko comments again. "Doesn't like shirts and walks about with his torso in full view."
"Sounds like someone I can hang out with. And here we are."

As with most noodle shops, the place lacks any frills and prefers keeping a low profile. It is rather small, though.
"Hey, Gunpei!" A cook greets as the three take a seat by the counter. "They're with you?"
"Yeah. Gimme the usual."
"I'm getting the spicy one." Nadehiko looks through what's available.
"I'll just have the basic one." Toshiro orders.
"So what do you two do?"
"I fix computers." Nadehiko starts. "I'm also part of an e-sports team."
"So you play computer games for a living? That used to be a joke years ago."
"Years ago there wasn't much money in e-sports."
"So that when you were fixing computers? Nice job, either way. What about you?"
"Professional archer."
"So I have two professional athletes here, nice. You do anything else?"
"Research assistant, fancy term for 'I scour books for hours on end.' I like doing it, but I'm not going to kid myself that I enjoy reading through hundreds of old legal documents."
"Sounds boring. Honestly I don't get them, you and your fancy stuff."
The orders arrive. Nadehiko's and Toshiro's bowls are the same save for the soup coloring, but as for Gunpei, he has at least thrice as much meat as a single order's.
"That's your daily?"
"Yep."
The three have their lunch, with Gunpei scarfing down his meal while the other two watch while eating their noodles more carefully.

-----

"So you don't have a job?"
"Nope. I just look around for anyone who needs help, that's how I get money aside from what the fire guys can give me. Some places I'm a regular, I check those first."
After getting a couple of nos, Gunpei tries the printing press.
"Hey, you came in just in time." A supervisor notices them. "You even brought in extra, perfect. There books that need to be shipped ASAP."
"Wait, we're not-" Toshiro's words are ignored.
"You and the guy in blue, load the books into the trucks, while you." He notices the other one. "Go there and stack the books onto the pallets."
With no room for objections the three go out and get to work. They finish two hours later and are promptly paid for the trouble.

"Sorry 'bout that, they always act like they're shortstaffed." Gunpei splits the cash outside the building.
"Are they?" Nadehiko pockets the money.
"Never asked, but I get a lotta work in this place whatever time of day it is."
"I'm rather offended that the man seemed to think I wasn't strong enough." Toshiro scowls.
"He probably saw your hat first." He laughs. "So, uh, Nadehiko, since you're the head of the team I should know where I can find you."
"Sure, it's a bit of a walk from the firehouse but I bet you don't mind."

They head back to the internet café, unaware that along the way are a couple of figures who have been watching them. The ambush takes place somewhere past the fire station where the three are stopped on their tracks by three men at the front and two at the back. The enemies take some unassuming objects and turn them into swords. Nadehiko summons a sword of his own while Gunpei covers his hands with light gauntlets glowing a hot red, Toshiro stalls a bit as a feint and lets the other two start fighting. Gunpei knocks one of the cultists at the back before he can even do anything, giving the green man an opening for him to run off and summon his arrow, shooting the other guy. Gunpei joins Nadehiko in dealing with the men the latter is clashing swords with by throwing a fireball at one of them, the burnt grunt loses hold of his weapon giving him something to burn away as it reverts back to a hand fan, which he does with another fireball. The other grunt splits to deal with him.

Toshiro hides behind an alleyway, sighting a couple of reinforcements rushing into the scene. He starts shooting as soon as he can see them. Gunpei ignores the fact that his foe has a sword and gives him a fist to the jaw, a ticket to dreamland for the grunt. A blindside almost gets him but his fists do a great enough job of throwing the other into the curb.

Nadehiko is still fighting and his enemy takes a swing at him, which he sidesteps and returns with a bare hand to the other and a shock. With what seems to be everyone down the three leave as quickly as they could, but ultimately a good number of people have been watching the ordeal go down.

-----

"Sir, we have crossed paths with him again."
"It went just as badly as last time, if you're the only one reporting."
"..."
"Was he alone?"
"No."
"They're slowly regrouping. Stop wasting time going at them directly, and find someone we can summon. Stat."
One cultist leaves and another enters.
"Someone to summon, you say?" The man holds up a locked box.
"Well, get that thing out of there, fast!"

-----

"Hey, you're back, the guys are still trying to copy your move." The guy at the internet café front desk greets Nadehiko then notices the new guy thanks to his lack of shirt. "Sir, can you please put on a shirt?"
"He's with me."
"Yeah, and if I can't come in I'll just stand by the sidewalk." Gunpei starts stepping out.
Masato stops by. "Hey, you're back, a bit worse for wear. Did anything happen?"
"We got into a fight, again. Here's the new guy, by the way."
"Gunpei."
"Do you have a shirt?" Masato asks.
"Never."
"If you're part of Nadehiko's team then sure, come in."

While Nadehiko is busy showing the team some strategies Kitsutsuki approaches the two visitors.
"Who's the hottie?"
"It's Gunpei, but thanks for noticing."
"Any reason you're shirtless?"
"I like it this way. Say, is this all he does for work?"
"He's also the resident repairman of this café. You look like you do a lot of work, yourself."
"Thanks."
"So who fought you?"
"Not sure," Nadehiko answers, though still busy on the keyboard, "but they wore the same clothes as the ones I fought at the museum."
"Must be revenge." Toshiro comments. "They probably got the news of all the main guardians coming to earth. Expect more altercations."
"That or we just caught them doing something. They weren't armed like that last time." He finishes his moves with a flashy kill on screen. 
"Now I want to know how well you play, in practice." Toshiro walks up to an available computer. "Is this server local?

Even Gunpei becomes part of this casual practice game, Nadehiko against the other two. Some fighting actually took place but the guy in the e-sports team shows his skill by winning out by a wide margin in the end. The rest of the team then joins in for some actual practice.
Nadehiko checks his phone. "Guys, I'm gonna pick up Rina, I'll be back."
"Your girlfriend?" Asks Gunpei.
"Yeah."
"I guess it's our cue to leave, then." Toshiro says.
"Oh, sure. My work usually ends around this time, but I'll do some more work here tonight after I bring Rina home."
The three men leave the establishment in a group. The sun has just finished setting and all the lights that replace it start turning on, soon Akihabara begins its busy nightlife.

"Anything planned for tomorrow?" Toshiro asks Nadehiko.
"I could continue looking for the other members. How about you?"
"I would help out if I could, but I am being tasked with attending some seminar by then."
"That leaves Gunpei."
"I'm always available." He answers with a thumbs-up and a grin.
"That settles it, then, see you guys later."
The three part ways. Gunpei goes back to the station on foot, Toshiro heads home in his car, Nadehiko enters the parking space and takes his motorcycle out.

As expected, he arrives at the restaurant to Rina waiting by the entrance.
"Nadehiko!" Rina approaches him. "How did your day go?"
"I found another one of the guys, I also fought some more shadowy figures."
"Oh no, are you still okay?"
"I'm fine, don't worry."
"If you say so. When will I get to meet your new friends, then?"
"I'll plan something whenever you're free, for now let's bring you home."

-----

Toshiro takes a detour to the university library and invokes his pass to get in the now closed building. One archivist notices him.
"You're the last guy I expect to see around this time and place, Yumiya." She comments. "Is it work-related?"
"This is more a personal thing, but it's important. There's possibly a new cult making itself known, I need access to the newspaper archives."
"Interesting topic, I'll open the archives for you."
"Thank you." He takes his hat off and starts walking.

-END

No comments:

Post a Comment